Call us today on

Scottish Carbon Monoxide Regulations 2017-09-07T10:37:16+00:00

Scottish Carbon Monoxide Regulations

New Building Regulations on carbon monoxide (CO) came into effect in Scotland on 1 October 2013. So what does this mean for you?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause death and the new regulations are essentially designed to raise awareness of the dangers of CO and to protect home owners and their families from the risks.

The new Regulations mean that at least one CO alarm should be installed in every space that contain a fixed combustion appliance such as a boiler (excluding cooking appliances), and where a flue passes through high-risk accommodation i.e. bedrooms and living rooms.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odourless, colourless gas that can poison and kill people in their own homes without warning. The gas can be released from faulty gas appliances or any appliances that burn fossil fuels or wood.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you or your family experience

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness and nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Tiredness
  • Confusion
  • Stomach pain
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Suspected flu or food poisoning

Later symptoms include memory loss, confusion and poor co-ordination.

How to Check for Carbon Monoxide in your home

Check around your gas boiler, gas fire and water heater for staining, sooting or discolouration.

Check any pilot lights and appliances that produce flames. Flames should normally burn blue but if the flames are yellow or orange, CO might be present.

How to Prevent CO Poisoning

C Hanlon’s Gas Safe registered plumbing and heating engineers can carry out comprehensive checking and servicing of gas and fossil fuel appliances. If these are carried out regularly the danger of CO poisoning can be significantly reduced.

C Hanlon electrical services can install a carbon monoxide alarm as well as identify the correct place for its installation. If a CO alarm is not in the correct location it may not pick up very low levels of CO which can still be very harmful.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable but only if home owners take action.

Tips and Guides

How to Check for Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

  • Carbon Monoxide Monitors Glasgow C Hanlon

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause death!

For more information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning or to arrange a visit call 0843 289 2038.
Get in touch today!

Contact C Hanlon Heating today for more information about Scottish Carbon Monoxide Regulations or to book an appointment.
Call us on
0843 289 2038
C Hanlon can provide all trades services for Residential and Commercial Customers throughout Glasgow and Central Scotland.


If you need to call out a tradesman for an emergency call the C Hanlon 24 hr Emergency Number: 0843 289 2038.